Last night, Elon Musk unveiled the Tesla Semi, and One More Thing.
Oh, what a ride(s).
Musk spent the days before Twitter-teasing the event:
This appears to be a game-changer for what is widely believed to a resistant-to-change industry. However, WalMart and JB Hunt have announced plans to buy some of Tesla’s Semis, so there are some forward-thinking individuals in the industry.
Tesla Semi Basics:
- 0-60, no trailer or empty trailer: 5 seconds
- 0-60, 80,000 pound load: 20 seconds
- 65mph on a 5% grade versus 45mph (earning 50% more per mile than a diesel truck
- 500 mile range
- Lower drag coefficient than a Bugatti Chiron (.36 versus .38)
- Completely flat bottom
- 4 independent motors on rear wheels
- No gear changing (no gears to change!)
- Center seating for complete visibility
- 400 miles of range in 30 minutes
- Charge at Origin or Destination
- Guaranteed $.07 electricity rate to refuel
- Megachargers worldwide
- Safety for everyone: (Enhanced Autopilot, Automatic Lane Keeping, Forward Collision Warning)
- Jack-knifes are totally eliminated
- 1,000,000 mile warranty against breakdown
- Brakepads last forever.
- Thermonuclear explosion-proof glass (apparently glass-breakage is a major downtime for semi rigs)
- Phone app provides service, diagnostics, predictive maintenance notifications, comm. with dispatch
It turns out these is some cargo in the truck…
Internal Combustion Engine: Ask not for whom the bell tolls – it tolls for thee.
Cummins stock is down 5% today.
More to come, especially on the New Tom Kirkham Show tomorrow at 10am Central.
More coverage from The Verge.
@Elon – why wasn’t I invited?